Library & School Sales Director
Firefly Books Ltd.
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Deadline for applicants: Monday June 5, 2017
Firefly Books Ltd., marking its 40th anniversary in 2017, is Canada’s largest independent book publisher, serving North America and the English-speaking world from its headquarters in the Toronto suburbs.
Firefly produces high-quality non-fiction books for readers of all ages. The company’s mission is to depict the world in full-colour, beautifully illustrated and designed books, created by the best authors, artists and photographers in their fields.
Firefly’s strengths are in nature and wildlife conservation, practical science, astronomy, sports, crafts, healthy living, gardening, cooking, reference and children’s books.
Firefly is seeking an experienced Library & School Sales Director to be part of our Sales team. This position reports to the President and works closely with the US Sales Director.
Library and Educational Sales:
- develop and maintain close relationships with US library and educational wholesale customers, including in-person sales presentations, samples to key buyers and collection development personnel
- delivers sales presentations to collection librarians at major US public library systems and school districts, including at conventions, on-site and preview samples
- familiarity with big-picture trends in the library and education fields
Library, Educational and Trade Shows:
- plan and carry out all aspects of exhibits at US library and educational conventions, including staffing, co-staffing, or assigning staff
- oversee the Library Sales Associate plans for exhibits at OLA and other Canadian library and educational conventions
- manage and oversee the Library Sales Associate, including sales to Canadian library and educational wholesalers, Canadian library sales; Canadian library conventions and meetings; assign additional responsibilities as required.
- coordinate with Production and Editorial for timely availability of needed materials.
- provide informed insight into book proposals and projects, trade catalog copy, and other marketing and sales ventures.
- produce an annual School & Library catalog, in coordination with the Marketing Manager, including: writing material, planning page layouts, proofreading, planning mailing lists.
- assist with planning library media advertising, in coordination with the President and the Marketing Manager
- oversee and support a US-based freelance library media publicist, including advance books and monitoring review coverage.
- 5 years experience selling books in the library market.
- Management experience a definite asset.
- Strong familiarity with the US and Canadian library and school market.
- Have established relationships with US and Canadian library and school wholesalers.
- Must be able to travel within the US and Canada
- Energetic, self-motivated and well-organized.
- Strong verbal and written communication ability.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity using Edelweiss and CataList tools.
- Access to a car is essential for this position.
- Ability to speak and read French an asset.
A competitive compensation package, including benefits.
Please submit your cover letter and resume (in confidence) to:
Cathy Hoshino, Executive Assistant
Firefly Books Ltd.
50 Staples Ave, Unit #1, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 0A7
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please.