Filed under: awards
The Writers’ Union of Canada has announced the shortlist for the 15th annual Danuta Gleed Literary Award, which recognizes a debut collection of short fiction published by a Canadian author in 2011. The nominees are:
- Andrew J. Borkowski, Copernicus Avenue (Cormorant Books)
- Daniel Griffin, Stopping for Strangers (Véhicule Press)
- Johanna Skibsrud, This Will Be Difficult to Explain (Hamish Hamilton Canada)
- Jessica Westhead, And Also Sharks (Cormorant Books)
- Ian Williams, Not Anyone’s Anything (Freehand Books)
This year’s jury comprised authors Gail Anderson-Dargatz, Robin McGrath, and Hal Niedzviecki, who determined the shortlist from 36 submissions. The winner, who receives a cash prize of $10,000, will be announced June 7, along with two runners-up, each of whom will receive $500.