Want to work with Canada's leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible marketing team!
Position: Marketing Coordinator (Catalogue and Copy)
Reports To: Sales and Marketing Manager
Division: Scholarly Publishing
Location: Downtown Toronto - Yonge & Bloor area
Marketing Coordinator (Catalogue and Copy) Role
Reporting to the Sales and Marketing Manager, the Marketing Coordinator (Catalogue and Copy) is responsible for writing and editing all marketing copy for use in the seasonal and subject catalogues and inside flaps/first pages of all new publications. In consultation with the editorial department, the marketing coordinator determines the list of books for each catalogue, manages the production throughout (from beginning through to publication and mailing) as well as liaising with the designer, printer, and mailing services.
- Coordinating production of catalogues (seasonal and subject).
- Writing and editing copy for catalogue and obtaining approval from the acquisitions editor, marketing manager and author.
- In coordination with acquisitions editors and the marketing manager, formulating list of books to be catalogued.
- Acting as first point of contact between the marketing team and authors - sending out author information sheets (AIS) for completion.
- Coordinating back cover/jacket copy, which involves reading uncorrected proofs to find suitable excerpts, reading manuscript readers’ reports to extract suitable comments that can be shaped into endorsements and, further, contacting those readers to gain approval for their comments, as well as seeking out new readers to provide endorsements.
- Coordinating mailing of catalogues and uploading of electronic catalogues to UTP website.
- Catalogue mailing list management.
- Coordinating desk/exam copy requests.
- Proofing metadata and other marketing materials.
- Sending out author letters.
- Additional administrative tasks.
Here's what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate
- 2 years in book publishing, preferably in marketing.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Very strong writing and editing skills.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficient with MS Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, InDesign and Photoshop.
- A good fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto and OCAD University.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
About our Scholarly Publishing Team
The Scholarly Publishing Division is based at 10 St. Mary Street, Toronto with a staff of publishing professionals committed to developing and distributing high quality scholarship for academics and the informed reader. University of Toronto Press is Canada’s premier publisher of scholarly non-fiction and we publish books in the social sciences, humanities and business areas, and our authors come from around the world.
Interested in applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by April 3, 2017, to: email@example.com. Please indicate, Marketing Coordinator (Catalogue and Copy) in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at the email above or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.