Inhabit Media Inc. is a small, Inuit-owned publisher that aims to promote and preserve the stories, knowledge, and talent of Northern Canada. The only independent, Inuit-owned publishing house in Nunavut, Inhabit Media publishes books that give Northern voices, particularly the unique histories, perspectives, and traditions of Canadian Arctic residents, a place in mainstream Canadian publishing.
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant for a short-term, four-month contract to provide general editorial and administrative support in our Yonge and Eglinton office. We’re looking for someone who will be comfortable working in a small team and taking on a variety of tasks as assigned by the Editor and Managing Partners. The ideal candidate will be interested in gaining experience in all aspects of small-press publishing and will have an interest in children’s publishing and/or the Canadian Arctic.
The Editorial Assistant (Contract) will take on the following duties:
- Assisting Editor and Managing Partners with editorial and administrative duties and some marketing tasks as needed
- Proofreading and copyediting manuscripts, book proofs, and promotional materials
- Entering information about Inhabit Media titles into distributor’s database
- Coordinating award submissions
- Managing mailing of author and contributor copies as well as book review and promotional mailings
- Tracking author contracts and coordinating payment of advances and honorariums
- Assisting with updates to website and social media profiles
Required skills and experience:
- Completion of a university degree and/or a publishing certificate an asset
- Internship experience in publishing, particularly small press or children’s publishing, an asset
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and Wordpress
- Experience or formal training in copyediting and proofreading
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and meet multiple deadlines
- Enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn about the Canadian publishing industry
Please submit cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 23, 2017. Salary will be in accordance with experience.