The United Church Observer seeks an Editor to lead North America’s longest-running magazine into the next chapter of its 188-year history. The Observer is an award-winning publication with a long commitment to excellence and innovation.
The successful candidate will be a magazine professional with proven high-level experience in all aspects of the editorial process, including:
- development and refinement of the magazine’s editorial mission
- planning and rationalization of print and digital content
- direct participation in the monthly production cycle including scheduling, assignments, editing, design and proofing
- writing, including features, opinion and display
- management of 10 salaried staff, in addition to contract and freelance editorial staff
- comfort and experience with digital output
- budget-setting and oversight
Observer Publications Inc. is a registered not-for-profit corporation that operates independently of The United Church of Canada. However, familiarity with the denomination, comfort with its ethos, and a general knowledge of trends in Canadian religion and spirituality are definite assets.
The Observer is a mission-driven publication; the Editor functions as the magazine’s CEO. As such, the Editor is accountable to the Board of Directors for the overall direction and health of the magazine. We anticipate that the day-to-day business of the magazine and implementation of long-term strategic goals will be managed by a Director of Operations (yet to be named). However, it is desirable for the Editor to be acquainted with publishing, circulation, financial and human resources fundamentals.
Please submit applications including writing samples and three references by email to:
While email submissions are preferable, mail submissions will also be accepted:
The Observer - Attn: Search Committee
Suite 304, 177 Danforth Avenue
Toronto, ON M4K 1N2
The deadline for receipt of applications is August 15, 2017, with interviews for short-listed applicants to be held mid-September 2017.