June 26, 2013
Deadline for applicants: July 12, 2013
Owlkids, publisher of Chirp, chickaDEE, and OWL magazines and Owlkids Books, is seeking a Managing Editor to work in its Toronto office as part of its publishing team. The Managing Editor will work closely with the Associate Publisher of Owlkids and the Publisher of Owlkids Books to oversee all phases of the editorial development and production processes for our books and magazines.
• Work with editorial, design, and production departments to create and track workable schedules for magazines and books that support sales and marketing deadlines and ensure timely delivery of final product;
• Anticipate and troubleshoot schedule issues; work with colleagues to problem-solve and offer creative solutions;
• Provide substantive and copy editing for the magazines as required;
• Manage overall book title management system (BooksoniX) and track and maintain book data and schedules;
• Lead weekly magazine and book production meetings;
• Hire, manage, schedule and evaluate freelance copyeditors and proofreaders as required;
• Manage reprint process for books from reprint approval through delivery to production;
• Work with Marketing Manager of Owlkids Books to produce materials for sales and marketing uses, including seasonal catalogues;
• Manage special projects as required.
The successful candidate will be a university or college graduate with 3-5 years’ experience as a managing editor or production editor in the children’s or educational book industry. The candidate should be able to work both independently and as part of a team, be highly organized with a strong attention to detail, be comfortable handling a wide range of duties simultaneously, work well under pressure in a deadline-driven environment and to be a self-motivated team player with a positive attitude.
Required skills include a thorough command of the Canadian Press and the Chicago Manual of Style; experience hiring and managing freelance copy editors and proofreaders; proven ability to work collaboratively, manage workflow, create and manage schedules across departments, track multiple projects and meet editorial production dates in a deadline-driven environment; as well as a diplomatic approach to problem solving. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, InDesign and scheduling software is required.
To apply, send your resume with a detailed cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com by July 12th. Only suitable applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Start date: August 12, 2013
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- December 4: Marion Garner named deputy publisher of Random House of Canada
- November 27: Dimitri Nasrallah takes over as editor at Esplanade
- November 14: Penguin Random House Canada realigns sales department, promotes Jordan Fenn
- November 14: Personnel changes: Goose Lane Editions
- November 12: Personnel change: Palimpsest Press
- November 7: Kristin Cochrane promoted to president and publisher of Random House of Canada; Louise Dennys named executive publisher
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.