February 06, 2013
Deadline for applicants: February 24, 2013
Penguin Group (Canada)
Penguin Group (www.penguin.com), one of the world’s largest English-language trade book publishers, has established divisions and key market positions in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, India, China, South Africa, New Zealand, and Ireland. The Penguin Group is part of Pearson, the international media company.
Penguin Canada, founded in 1974, is one of Canada’s pre-eminent trade publishers, publishing and distributing a wide range of imprints including Viking, Allen Lane, Hamish Hamilton, Dutton, Gotham, Riverhead, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, Plume, and Berkley Books.
Penguin Group (Canada) www.penguin.ca has an opening for a Publicist (one year contract) reporting to the Director of Publicity. This position is based in the Penguin Toronto office with an anticipated start date of April 1, 2013.
The Publicist will take on responsibility for publicizing and promoting a core list of Penguin’s Canadian and US authors. The position requires experience in managing national tours and events, and liaising with editors, booksellers, and other industry stakeholders. The successful incumbent will have excellent written and verbal communications skills, and excellent relationships with Canadian media.
• Responsibility for the promotion/publicity of an award-winning list of Canadian and US books and authors, including media coverage; organizing author tours; launches; readings/events and promotions.
• Preparation of press materials; liaison with various event organizers, trade shows, and speaking series’ to provide the greatest exposure for authors and books.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Liaise with authors, editors, agents and US colleagues on an ongoing basis
• Liaise with media on an ongoing basis, utilizing a strong network of contacts
• Organize media schedules, launches and authors tours for lead titles
• Work effectively as part of a dynamic marketing and publicity team in a fast-paced environment
• Assist with press campaigns for seasonal promotions in consultation with marketing and sales directors
• Three to five years in the publishing or communications/public relations industry
• Excellent relationships with Canadian media
• Ability to think creatively, strategically
• University or college degree
• Proficient with various social media platforms
• Superior communication skills required, both oral and written
• Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
• Computer skills: Working knowledge of Word and Excel
Candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and résumé by February 24, 2013 to:
Please indicate name and position applied for in the subject line.
We would like to thank all those who inquire or apply.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- May 13: Personnel change: BookNet Canada
- April 1: Personnel changes: James Lorimer & Company
- March 28: Janice Zawerbny to lead Anansi’s Canadian fiction program
- March 28: Michael Schellenberg joins Ontario Arts Council as literary officer
- March 28: Personnel change: McGill-Queen’s University Press
- March 26: Personnel change: The Rights Factory
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.