February 04, 2013
Deadline for applicants: February 22, 2013
Pacific Educational Press, University of British Columbia
Desired Start Date: March 1, 2013
Application Closing Date: February 22, 2013
The Sales and Marketing Manager will play a key role disseminating information about and selling this publishing company’s books and other educational resources to key customers. The incumbent will play a management role strategizing marketing campaigns to maximize product sales and will implement these campaigns.
The Sales and Marketing Manager will report to the Director of the press, will collaborate with senior editorial and production staff and the press’s business manager, and will directly supervise a sales and marketing assistant.
Job duties include the following. The sales and marketing manager will:
• create sales and marketing plans for book titles, working with other members of the publishing team;
• research markets, make sales projections, and identify key contacts;
• implement sales and marketing campaigns;
• sell textbooks and other educational resources in the education market;
• create and make presentations to prospective customers, such as school districts or boards;
• develop relationships with key customers including schools, government agencies, retailers, and wholesalers;
• represent the press at educational conferences by staffing displays and making presentations;
• maintain supportive customer relations with key accounts;
• respond to customer queries about titles and distribute requested marketing materials;
• provide feedback on jacket copy and design;
• write catalogue and website copy as well as promotional materials such as newsletters, brochures, order forms, cover letters, and news releases;
• coordinate the dissemination of promotional materials via physical and electronic means;
• manage ongoing collection of course adoption and contact information;
• ensure website content is up to date and oversee implementation of e-Commerce solutions;
• accept book orders and supervise fulfillment;
• prepare sales reports and conduct sales analysis;
• promote sales and distribution of e-Books through maintenance
of digital assets and distribution agreements;
• ensure metadata is accurate and pushed to appropriate vendors and data aggregators;
• solicit distribution partnerships with international publishers
and suppliers of educational resources;
• travel in Canada as needed.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
The incumbent’s activities will have a significant impact on the sales of the press. Poor judgment and/or errors may negatively affect sales levels achieved by the press.
Will directly supervise the Sales and Marketing Assistant;
may hire and supervise freelance help.
The incumbent will collaborate with other senior staff on specific book projects and will work on sales and marketing activities independently within general guidelines; will report to the director.
Applicants for this position must have the following:
• an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline;
• a diploma in marketing or equivalent;
• a minimum of three years’ experience in book sales and marketing, preferably in an educational publishing company, or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
• a personable, tactful, and outgoing personality;
• excellent written and oral communication skills;
• familiarity with Macintosh computers and word processing and database software;
• and the ability and willingness to travel for short periods.
Applications must be submitted through the University
of British Columbia Human Resources Department, www.hr.ubc.ca, within the following dates:
February 5 – 22, 2013
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- December 4: Marion Garner named deputy publisher of Random House of Canada
- November 27: Dimitri Nasrallah takes over as editor at Esplanade
- November 14: Penguin Random House Canada realigns sales department, promotes Jordan Fenn
- November 14: Personnel changes: Goose Lane Editions
- November 12: Personnel change: Palimpsest Press
- November 7: Kristin Cochrane promoted to president and publisher of Random House of Canada; Louise Dennys named executive publisher
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.