January 30, 2013
Deadline for applicants: February 22, 2013
Random House of Canada Limited
Reporting to: VP, Strategic Digital Business Development
Random House of Canada is seeking a Senior Consumer Insights Analyst. We are looking for an individual who can identify opportunities based on data analysis and customer relationship management; can communicate those insights to the business at large; and can make decisions and recommendations with a clear and unremitting focus on specific readers and consumers.
The Senior Consumer Insights Analyst will develop and maintain processes to expand Random House of Canada’s understanding of its target consumers, through quantitative and qualitative research. For key properties, the Analyst will be involved in the life cycle of a book from acquisition through packaging, branding, sales, and marketing. They will identify key market opportunities, and work closely with the publishing and support teams to ensure that each project successfully reaches its target audience.
Additionally, the Senior Consumer Insights Analyst will work closely with the digital team, augmenting the analytical insights provided to the company at large, including to sales directors and managers, operations, IT, finance and publishing divisions. The Senior Analyst will manage smaller-scale projects independently and/or supporting a designated business lead. Depending on the scope of the project, the Analyst will be responsible for executing analysis, deriving insights that can drive business results, and presenting the results to respective departments. Types of analysis could include consumer segmentation, pricing, benchmarking, consumer trends analysis, category/format performance, channel/account trends.
Additional responsibilities may include qualitative research, including consulting with consumer insights partners and others on study design; writing, editing, and fielding survey questions; and working with social media activity monitoring tools.
The Analyst will work closely with Random House of Canada’s marketing team; and liaise closely with consumer insights groups elsewhere at Random House worldwide.
We are looking for an individual that can not only develop the understanding of the marketplace and our consumers, but is also very effective at succinctly and collaboratively communicating this understanding to a variety of audiences.
The ideal candidate will come from a data science background, and should have experience in consumer insights or customer relationship management.
Qualifications and experience:
• BA or BSc from a top tier university (Masters or Ph.D.-level degree in statistics, economics, psychology, applied mathematics, business or similar disciplines preferred)
• Minimum of four years of relevant experience (e.g. consumer research/insights, analysis, project support, marketing research, or general statistics and analysis)
• Ability to quantify and analyze business issues and opportunities
• Ability to apply logical problem solving skills and data-based decision-making skills
• Ability to derive and communicate insights from quantitative analysis
• Ability to work independently with close attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize, plan, and execute projects
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills -- the ability to tell a clear story behind complex data
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to partner with employees of all levels throughout the organization
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, deadline oriented environment
• Facility with technology (experience with Business Objects, SQL, and/or R an asset)
• Experience applying multivariate statistical techniques in analysis, including regression techniques, data reduction, segmentation (e.g. factor analysis, cluster analysis, etc).
• Experience with graphical statistics software a plus.
• Experience with Excel and PowerPoint required
• Past experiences with focus groups, NPS, brand health tracking and overall analysis of market trends highly beneficial
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2013.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- March 6: Personnel change: Hachette Book Group Canada
- February 27: WCA agents Jackie Kaiser and Hilary McMahon promoted to executive roles
- February 27: Personnel change: Breakwater Books
- February 24: Personnel change: Figure 1 Publishing
- February 10: Noah Richler joins Luminato as literary and ideas curator
- January 30: University of Alberta Press appoints first scholar-in-residence
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.