January 02, 2013
Deadline for applicants: January 18, 2013
Penguin Group (Canada)
Penguin Group (www.penguin.com), one of the world’s largest English-language trade book publishers, has established divisions and key market positions in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, India, China, South Africa, New Zealand and Ireland. The Penguin Group is part of Pearson, the international media company.
Penguin Canada (www.penguin.ca), founded in 1974, is one of Canada’s preeminent trade publishers, publishing and distributing a wide range of imprints including Viking, Allen Lane, Hamish Hamilton, Dutton, Gotham, Riverhead, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, Plume and Berkley Books.
Penguin Canada has an exciting opportunity for a full time, permanent Executive Assistant. This position will be located at the Penguin, Yonge & Eglinton office.
The Executive Assistant is accountable for providing administrative support to the President and Publisher coordinating special projects, and providing support for authors and agents as needed. The Executive Assistant will frequently handle confidential and critical data. The ideal candidate will be required to maintain a focused, professional approach in an environment of changing priorities and will need to apply independent thinking and problem solving to a variety of different situations.
• Coordinate the calendar of President and Publisher: booking flights, limos, hotels, lunches, organizing conference calls, meetings, book fairs, and coordinating schedules across four different continents and time zones
• Perform administrative tasks including research and writing first drafts of reports; responding to phone calls; organizing and responding to mail; filing; coordinating expense claims and cheque requisitions
• Assist with executive expense budget
• Run publishing P&Ls, conduct research, create publishing and sales reports
• Organize monthly report for Division
• Record departmental headcounts and update organizational chart
• Take and distribute minutes at executive meetings
• Manage newspaper, magazine, and on-line subscriptions for President’s office
• Attendance tracking
• Minimum five years of Administrative and/or Executive Assistant experience in a publishing environment
• Diploma or undergraduate degree in Publishing or related discipline
• Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities • Excellent time management skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness
• Able to work additional hours when necessary
• Strong communication skills to liaise effectively with team members, clients and authors
• Be proactive in dealing with various situations
• Excellent judgment and strong problem-solving skills
• Thrives in a fast-paced environment
• Professional attitude with a willingness to learn
Candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and résumé by January 18, 2013 to:
Please indicate name and position applied for in the subject line. We would like to thank all those who inquire or apply. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- May 13: Personnel change: BookNet Canada
- April 1: Personnel changes: James Lorimer & Company
- March 28: Janice Zawerbny to lead Anansi’s Canadian fiction program
- March 28: Michael Schellenberg joins Ontario Arts Council as literary officer
- March 28: Personnel change: McGill-Queen’s University Press
- March 26: Personnel change: The Rights Factory
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.