December 03, 2012
Deadline for applicants: December 14, 2012
Random House of Canada Limited
Senior Designer - Contract Position (1 Year):
The Senior Designer will join a strong in-house design team and work in conjunction with production, editorial, publishing and sales to develop design concepts and execute final press-ready files in a range of book and cover formats, including trade fiction and non-fiction (hardcover and paperback), children’s books (chapter and illustrated), and design-intensive sports, lifestyle and cookbooks. The contract is for one year, beginning January 2013, and is based at Random House of Canada’s Sherbourne Street offices.
The successful candidate will have the following skill set:
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate ideas and offer design solutions.
• Proven ability to meet critical deadlines under pressure with a strong attention to detail.
• Preparation of press-ready files.
• Sound knowledge of the production process, including reviewing and correcting colour proofs, advising on materials (paper stocks, special effects, etc.)
• Expert knowledge of Mac-based InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Suitcase, Acrobat, and familiarity with Excel.
• Knowledge and experience in the fundamentals of book typography.
• Humour, flexibility, patience and the ability to work collaboratively.
• Self-motivation, with a willingness to learn.
• Troubleshooting and focused on results.
• Minimum of five years experience in print design, including three years at a senior level in complete book design.
To apply, please submit a concise resume along with a portfolio of 10-15 samples of recent work by December 14, 2012 to: CS Richardson, Random House of Canada Limited, 75 Sherbourne Street, 5th Floor, Toronto M5A 2P9, email@example.com.
We appreciate all applications but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- December 4: Marion Garner named deputy publisher of Random House of Canada
- November 27: Dimitri Nasrallah takes over as editor at Esplanade
- November 14: Penguin Random House Canada realigns sales department, promotes Jordan Fenn
- November 14: Personnel changes: Goose Lane Editions
- November 12: Personnel change: Palimpsest Press
- November 7: Kristin Cochrane promoted to president and publisher of Random House of Canada; Louise Dennys named executive publisher
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.