October 29, 2012
Deadline for applicants: November 20, 2012
Firefly Books Ltd
Firefly Books is a publisher of non-fiction illustrated trade books. We have an opening for an experienced managing editor (with five or more years experience) to help manage our list of 100+ new books per year. The position reports to the Production Director. Duties include:
- manage the workflow of approximately 40 new books per year from edited manuscript through the design and production process while maintaining budgets and schedules.
- assist in the sourcing and purchasing of photographs and art as required by the editors
- review and approve all final printer’s proofs along with the editors
- assist in the creation and development of sales and catalogue copy
- receive and respond to all manuscript submissions
- maintain all paper and digital files from initial contracts to final delivery of print-ready files to production
- attend weekly editorial/production meetings and report on the current status of all books
- be responsible for maintaining liaison with in-house editors, freelance editors and designers, photo agencies - work closely with the Production Director to update schedules and budgets
A large part of the job entails the ability to work smoothly and effectively with authors, editors and designers and to keep the team focused on the need to meet schedules and stay on budget. Excellent people skills and a professional manner are essential.
The job requires a high degree of attention to detail and knowledge of all aspects of book editing, design and production. Facility with Microsoft Word and Excel are necessary and familiarity with InDesign is a definite asset.
To be considered for this position, please send a brief resume and cover letter to Jacqueline Hope Raynor, Production Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). All replies will be acknowledged and held in strictest confidence. No phone queries please.
To find out more about Firefly Books, please visit our website (www.fireflybooks.com).
From Q&Q Omni: Recent personnel changes
- December 4: Marion Garner named deputy publisher of Random House of Canada
- November 27: Dimitri Nasrallah takes over as editor at Esplanade
- November 14: Penguin Random House Canada realigns sales department, promotes Jordan Fenn
- November 14: Personnel changes: Goose Lane Editions
- November 12: Personnel change: Palimpsest Press
- November 7: Kristin Cochrane promoted to president and publisher of Random House of Canada; Louise Dennys named executive publisher
Looking to Post an Available Position?
Job opportunities can be listed on the Q&Q Omni job board for up to a month, and will also be sent by e-mail to the paid professional members of the site as part of Q&Q's e-mail news service.